IKEA PORTION Curtain Rod Set Can Be Cut To The Desired Length With A Hacksaw. (delightful Curtain Rod Ikea #7)
Howdy folks, this blog post is about IKEA PORTION Curtain Rod Set Can Be Cut To The Desired Length With A Hacksaw. (delightful Curtain Rod Ikea #7). It is a image/jpeg and the resolution of this file is 1920 x 1920. It's file size is only 333 KB. Wether You desired to download This photo to Your laptop, you have to Click here. You could too see more attachments by clicking the following photo or read more at this article: Curtain Rod Ikea.
IKEA PORTION Curtain Rod Set Can Be Cut To The Desired Length With A Hacksaw. (delightful Curtain Rod Ikea #7) Images Album
Not incorrect to express that the Curtain Rod Ikea could be the many private locations involving the rooms in the your house. You're liberated to shop individual items that don't desire to be observed. You'll also free convey your thoughts, relax within an atmosphere that's preferred. In a nutshell, the bed room is where you can do anything without worrying others that are annoyed.
Functionally might be started in the modification bedroom place ought to be wholesome and comfortable, while visually, room must have a framework that is harmonious, harmonious as well as in track, as well as in line with all the character of its occupants, while in bed may be performed whilst the user needs, because the equivalent of an ideal, since the options we provide several selections and recommendations on choosing the ideal bed which of course could be your stability whenever choosing a bed.
If you utilize 8 hours each day to remainder, and therefore there is of one's living a third used sleeping. If so not too much really, if you spend more awareness of the sack. To utilize a bit of IKEA PORTION Curtain Rod Set Can Be Cut To The Desired Length With A Hacksaw. (delightful Curtain Rod Ikea #7) well suited for locations that has to satisfy demands that are artistic and functional.
Curtaincur•tain (kûr′tn),USA pronunciation n.
- a hanging piece of fabric used to shut out the light from a window, adorn a room, increase privacy, etc.
- a movable or folding screen used for similar purposes.
- [Chiefly New Eng.]a window shade.
- a set of hanging drapery for concealing all or part of the stage or set from the view of the audience.
- the act or time of raising or opening a curtain at the start of a performance: an 8:30 curtain.
- the end of a scene or act indicated by the closing or falling of a curtain: first-act curtain.
- an effect, line, or plot solution at the conclusion of a performance: a strong curtain; weak curtain.
- music signaling the end of a radio or television performance.
- (used as a direction in a script of a play to indicate that a scene or act is concluded.)
- anything that shuts off, covers, or conceals: a curtain of artillery fire.
- a relatively flat or featureless extent of wall between two pavilions or the like.
- [Fort.]the part of a wall or rampart connecting two bastions, towers, or the like.
- curtains, the end;
death, esp. by violence: It looked like curtains for another mobster.
- draw the curtain on or over:
- to bring to a close: to draw the curtain on a long career of public service.
- to keep secret.
- lift the curtain on:
- to commence;
- to make known or public;
disclose: to lift the curtain on a new scientific discovery.
- to provide, shut off, conceal, or adorn with, or as if with, a curtain.
Rodrod (rod),USA pronunciation n., v., rod•ded, rod•ding.
- a stick, wand, staff, or the like, of wood, metal, or other material.
- a straight, slender shoot or stem of any woody plant, whether still growing or cut from the plant.
- See fishing rod.
- (in plastering or mortaring) a straightedge moved along screeds to even the plaster between them.
- a stick used for measuring.
- a unit of linear measure, 51⁄2 yards or 161⁄2 feet (5.029 m);
linear perch or pole.
- a unit of square measure, 301⁄4 square yards (25.29 sq. m);
square perch or pole.
- a stick, or a bundle of sticks or switches bound together, used as an instrument of punishment.
- punishment or discipline: Not one to spare the rod, I sent him to bed without dinner.
- a wand, staff, or scepter carried as a symbol of office, authority, power, etc.
- authority, sway, or rule, esp. when tyrannical.
- See lightning rod.
- a slender bar or tube for draping towels over, suspending a shower curtain, etc.
- a branch of a family;
- a pattern, drawn on wood in full size, of one section of a piece of furniture.
- a pistol or revolver.
- [Vulgar.]the penis.
- one of the rodlike cells in the retina of the eye, sensitive to low intensities of light. Cf. cone (def. 5).
- [Bacteriol.]a rod-shaped microorganism.
- Also called leveling rod, stadia rod. a light pole, conspicuously marked with graduations, held upright and read through a surveying instrument in leveling or stadia surveying.
- round metal stock for drawing and cutting into slender bars.
- to furnish or equip with a rod or rods, esp. lightning rods.
- to even (plaster or mortar) with a rod.
- to reinforce (the core of a mold) with metal rods.
Setset (set),USA pronunciation v., set, set•ting, n., adj., interj.
- to put (something or someone) in a particular place: to set a vase on a table.
- to place in a particular position or posture: Set the baby on his feet.
- to place in some relation to something or someone: We set a supervisor over the new workers.
- to put into some condition: to set a house on fire.
- to put or apply: to set fire to a house.
- to put in the proper position: to set a chair back on its feet.
- to put in the proper or desired order or condition for use: to set a trap.
- to distribute or arrange china, silver, etc., for use on (a table): to set the table for dinner.
- to place (the hair, esp. when wet) on rollers, in clips, or the like, so that the hair will assume a particular style.
- to put (a price or value) upon something: He set $7500 as the right amount for the car. The teacher sets a high value on neatness.
- to fix the value of at a certain amount or rate;
value: He set the car at $500. She sets neatness at a high value.
- to post, station, or appoint for the purpose of performing some duty: to set spies on a person.
- to determine or fix definitely: to set a time limit.
- to resolve or decide upon: to set a wedding date.
- to cause to pass into a given state or condition: to set one's mind at rest; to set a prisoner free.
- to direct or settle resolutely or wishfully: to set one's mind to a task.
- to present as a model;
place before others as a standard: to set a good example.
- to establish for others to follow: to set a fast pace.
- to prescribe or assign, as a task.
- to adjust (a mechanism) so as to control its performance.
- to adjust the hands of (a clock or watch) according to a certain standard: I always set my watch by the clock in the library.
- to adjust (a timer, alarm of a clock, etc.) so as to sound when desired: He set the alarm for seven o'clock.
- to fix or mount (a gem or the like) in a frame or setting.
- to ornament or stud with gems or the like: a bracelet set with pearls.
- to cause to sit;
seat: to set a child in a highchair.
- to put (a hen) on eggs to hatch them.
- to place (eggs) under a hen or in an incubator for hatching.
- to place or plant firmly: to set a flagpole in concrete.
- to put into a fixed, rigid, or settled state, as the face, muscles, etc.
- to fix at a given point or calibration: to set the dial on an oven; to set a micrometer.
- to tighten (often fol. by up): to set nuts well up.
- to cause to take a particular direction: to set one's course to the south.
- to put (a broken or dislocated bone) back in position.
- (of a hunting dog) to indicate the position of (game) by standing stiffly and pointing with the muzzle.
- to fit, as words to music.
- to arrange for musical performance.
- to arrange (music) for certain voices or instruments.
- to arrange the scenery, properties, lights, etc., on (a stage) for an act or scene.
- to prepare (a scene) for dramatic performance.
- to spread and secure (a sail) so as to catch the wind.
- to arrange (type) in the order required for printing.
- to put together types corresponding to (copy);
compose in type: to set an article.
- [Baking.]to put aside (a substance to which yeast has been added) in order that it may rise.
- to change into curd: to set milk with rennet.
- to cause (glue, mortar, or the like) to become fixed or hard.
- to urge, goad, or encourage to attack: to set the hounds on a trespasser.
- [Bridge.]to cause (the opposing partnership or their contract) to fall short: We set them two tricks at four spades. Only perfect defense could set four spades.
- to affix or apply, as by stamping: The king set his seal to the decree.
- to fix or engage (a fishhook) firmly into the jaws of a fish by pulling hard on the line once the fish has taken the bait.
- to sharpen or put a keen edge on (a blade, knife, razor, etc.) by honing or grinding.
- to fix the length, width, and shape of (yarn, fabric, etc.).
- [Carpentry.]to sink (a nail head) with a nail set.
- to bend or form to the proper shape, as a saw tooth or a spring.
- to bend the teeth of (a saw) outward from the blade alternately on both sides in order to make a cut wider than the blade itself.
- to pass below the horizon;
sink: The sun sets early in winter.
- to decline;
- to assume a fixed or rigid state, as the countenance or the muscles.
- (of the hair) to be placed temporarily on rollers, in clips, or the like, in order to assume a particular style: Long hair sets more easily than short hair.
- to become firm, solid, or permanent, as mortar, glue, cement, or a dye, due to drying or physical or chemical change.
- to sit on eggs to hatch them, as a hen.
- to hang or fit, as clothes.
- to begin to move;
start (usually fol. by forth, out, off, etc.).
- (of a flower's ovary) to develop into a fruit.
- (of a hunting dog) to indicate the position of game.
- to have a certain direction or course, as a wind, current, or the like.
- (of a sail) to be spread so as to catch the wind.
- (of type) to occupy a certain width: This copy sets to forty picas.
- [Nonstandard.]sit: Come in and set a spell.
- set about:
- to begin on;
- to undertake;
- to assault;
- set against:
- to cause to be hostile or antagonistic.
- to compare or contrast: The advantages must be set against the disadvantages.
- set ahead, to set to a later setting or time: Set your clocks ahead one hour.
- set apart:
- to reserve for a particular purpose.
- to cause to be noticed;
distinguish: Her bright red hair sets her apart from her sisters.
- set aside:
- to put to one side;
reserve: The clerk set aside the silver brooch for me.
- to dismiss from the mind;
- to prevail over;
annul: to set aside a verdict.
- set back:
- to hinder;
- to turn the hands of (a watch or clock) to show an earlier time: When your plane gets to California, set your watch back two hours.
- to reduce to a lower setting: Set back the thermostat before you go to bed.
- set by, to save or keep for future use.
- set down:
- to write or to copy or record in writing or printing.
- to consider;
estimate: to set someone down as a fool.
- to attribute;
ascribe: to set a failure down to bad planning.
- to put in a position of rest on a level surface.
- to humble or humiliate.
- to land an airplane: We set down in a heavy fog.
- (in horse racing) to suspend (a jockey) from competition because of some offense or infraction of the rules.
- set forth:
- to give an account of;
describe: He set forth his theory in a scholarly report.
- to begin a journey;
start: Columbus set forth with three small ships.
- set forward, to turn the hands of (a watch or clock) to show a later time: When your plane lands in New York, set your watch forward two hours.
- set in:
- to begin to prevail;
arrive: Darkness set in.
- (of winds or currents) to blow or flow toward the shore.
- set off:
- to cause to become ignited or to explode.
- to begin;
- to intensify or improve by contrast.
- to begin a journey or trip;
- set on:
- Also, set upon. to attack or cause to attack: to set one's dog on a stranger.
- to instigate;
incite: to set a crew to mutiny.
- set one's face against. See face (def. 35).
- set out:
- to begin a journey or course: to set out for home.
- to undertake;
attempt: He set out to prove his point.
- to design;
plan: to set out a pattern.
- to define;
describe: to set out one's arguments.
- to plant: to set out petunias and pansies.
- to lay out (the plan of a building) in actual size at the site.
- to lay out (a building member or the like) in actual size.
- set store by. See store (def. 9).
- set to:
- to make a vigorous effort;
apply oneself to work;
- to begin to fight;
- set up:
- to put upright;
- to put into a high or powerful position.
- to construct;
- to be assembled or made ready for use: exercise equipment that sets up in a jiffy.
- to inaugurate;
- to enable to begin in business;
provide with means.
- to make a gift of;
treat, as to drinks.
- to stimulate;
- to propound;
- to bring about;
- to become firm or hard, as a glue or cement: a paint that sets up within five minutes.
- to lead or lure into a dangerous, detrimental, or embarrassing situation, as by deceitful prearrangement or connivance.
- to entrap or frame, as an innocent person in a crime or a criminal suspect in a culpable circumstance in order to achieve an arrest.
- to arrange the murder or execution of: His partner set him up with the mob.
- [Bridge.]to establish (a suit): to set up spades.
- the act or state of setting or the state of being set.
- a collection of articles designed for use together: a set of china; a chess set.
- a collection, each member of which is adapted for a special use in a particular operation: a set of golf clubs; a set of carving knives.
- a number, group, or combination of things of similar nature, design, or function: a set of ideas.
- a series of volumes by one author, about one subject, etc.
- a number, company, or group of persons associated by common interests, occupations, conventions, or status: a set of murderous thieves; the smart set.
- the fit, as of an article of clothing: the set of his coat.
- fixed direction, bent, or inclination: The set of his mind was obvious.
- bearing or carriage: the set of one's shoulders.
- the assumption of a fixed, rigid, or hard state, as by mortar or glue.
- the arrangement of the hair in a particular style: How much does the beauty parlor charge for a shampoo and set?
- a plate for holding a tool or die.
- an apparatus for receiving radio or television programs;
- [Philately.]a group of stamps that form a complete series.
- [Tennis.]a unit of a match, consisting of a group of not fewer than six games with a margin of at least two games between the winner and loser: He won the match in straight sets of 6–3, 6–4, 6–4.
- a construction representing a place or scene in which the action takes place in a stage, motion-picture, or television production.
- the bending out of the points of alternate teeth of a saw in opposite directions.
- a permanent deformation or displacement of an object or part.
- a tool for giving a certain form to something, as a saw tooth.
- a chisel having a wide blade for dividing bricks.
- [Hort.]a young plant, or a slip, tuber, or the like, suitable for planting.
- the number of couples required to execute a quadrille or the like.
- a series of movements or figures that make up a quadrille or the like.
- a group of pieces played by a band, as in a night club, and followed by an intermission.
- the period during which these pieces are played.
- [Bridge.]a failure to take the number of tricks specified by one's contract: Our being vulnerable made the set even more costly.
- the direction of a wind, current, etc.
- the form or arrangement of the sails, spars, etc., of a vessel.
- suit (def. 12).
- [Psychol.]a temporary state of an organism characterized by a readiness to respond to certain stimuli in a specific way.
- a timber frame bracing or supporting the walls or roof of a shaft or stope.
- [Carpentry.]See nail set.
- a collection of objects or elements classed together.
- the width of a body of type.
- sett (def. 3).
- fixed or prescribed beforehand: a set time; set rules.
fixed: The hall holds a set number of people.
- deliberately composed;
customary: set phrases.
rigid: a set smile.
- resolved or determined;
habitually or stubbornly fixed: to be set in one's opinions.
- completely prepared;
ready: Is everyone set?
- all set, in readiness;
prepared: They were at the starting line and all set to begin.
Also, get set!
- (in calling the start of a race): Ready! Set! Go!
Cancan1 (kan;[unstressed]kən),USA pronunciation auxiliary v. and v., pres. sing. 1st pers. can, 2nd can or ([Archaic]) canst, 3rd can, pres. pl. can* past sing. 1st pers. could, 2nd could or ([Archaic]) couldst, 3rd could, past pl. could. For auxiliary v.: imperative, infinitive, and participles lacking. For v. (Obs.): imperativecan;
past part. could;
- to be able to;
have the ability, power, or skill to: She can solve the problem easily, I'm sure.
- to know how to: He can play chess, although he's not particularly good at it.
- to have the power or means to: A dictator can impose his will on the people.
- to have the right or qualifications to: He can change whatever he wishes in the script.
have permission to: Can I speak to you for a moment?
- to have the possibility: A coin can land on either side.
- [Obs.]to know.
Bebe (bē;[unstressed]bē, bi),USA pronunciation v. and auxiliary v., pres. sing. 1st pers. am, 2nd are or ([Archaic]) art, 3rd is, pres. pl. are* past sing. 1st pers. was, 2nd were or ([Archaic]) wast or wert, 3rd was, past pl. were;
pres. subj. be;
past subj. sing. 1st pers. were, 2nd were or ([Archaic]) wert, 3rd were;
past subj. pl. were;
past part. been;
pres. part. be•ing.
- to exist or live: Shakespeare's "To be or not to be'' is the ultimate question.
- to take place;
occur: The wedding was last week.
- to occupy a place or position: The book is on the table.
- to continue or remain as before: Let things be.
- to belong;
befall: May good fortune be with you.
- (used as a copula to connect the subject with its predicate adjective, or predicate nominative, in order to describe, identify, or amplify the subject): Martha is tall. John is president. This is she.
- (used as a copula to introduce or form interrogative or imperative sentences): Is that right? Be quiet! Don't be facetious.
- (used with the present participle of another verb to form the progressive tense): I am waiting.
- (used with the present participle or infinitive of the principal verb to indicate future action): She is visiting there next week. He is to see me today.
- (used with the past participle of another verb to form the passive voice): The date was fixed. It must be done.
- (used in archaic or literary constructions with some intransitive verbs to form the perfect tense): He is come. Agamemnon to the wars is gone.
Cutcut (kut),USA pronunciation v., cut, cut•ting, adj., n.
- to penetrate with or as if with a sharp-edged instrument or object: He cut his finger.
- to divide with or as if with a sharp-edged instrument;
carve: to cut a rope.
- to detach with or as if with a sharp-edged instrument;
separate from the main body;
lop off: to cut a slice from a loaf of bread.
- to hew or saw down;
fell: to cut timber.
- to trim by clipping, shearing, paring, or pruning: to cut hair.
- to mow;
harvest: to cut grain.
- to abridge or shorten;
edit by omitting a part or parts: to cut a speech.
- to lower, reduce, diminish, or curtail (sometimes fol. by down): to cut prices.
- to dilute;
make less thick: to cut wine.
- to dissolve: That detergent cuts grease effectively.
- to intersect;
cross: One line cuts another at right angles.
- to cease;
discontinue (often fol. by out): Cut the kidding. Let's cut out the pretense.
- to stop;
halt the running of, as a liquid or an engine (often fol. by off): The pilot cut the engines and glided in for a landing. Cut off the hot water.
- to dilute or adulterate (a drug) by mixing it with other substances.
- to grow (a tooth or teeth) through the gum: The baby is cutting his teeth.
- to type, write, or draw on (a stencil) for mimeographing.
- to make or fashion by cutting, as a statue, jewel, or garment.
- [Glassmaking.]to produce a pattern (in glass) by grinding and polishing.
- to refuse to recognize socially;
shun ostentatiously: Her friends began to cut her as the season progressed.
- to strike sharply, as with a whip.
- to absent oneself from: allowed to cut three classes per semester.
- [Motion Pictures, Television.]
- to stop (a scene or shot being filmed).
- to edit (a film).
- to wound the feelings of severely.
- to divide (a pack of cards) at random into two or more parts, by removing cards from the top.
- to take (a card) from a deck.
- to record a selection on (a phonograph record or tape);
make a recording of.
- to castrate or geld.
- to hit (a ball) with either the hand or some instrument so as to change its course and often to cause it to spin.
- to hollow out;
dig: to cut a trench.
- [Cricket.]to strike and send off (a ball) in front of the batsman, and parallel to the wicket.
- to be a nonplaying dealer, manager, or supervisor of (a card game, crap game, or other gambling game) in return for a percentage of the money bet or sometimes for a fee.
- to penetrate or divide something, as with a sharp-edged instrument;
make an incision: The scissors cut well.
- to admit of being cut: Butter cuts easily.
- to pass, go, or come, esp. in the most direct way (usually fol. by across, through, in, etc.): to cut across an empty lot.
- [Motion Pictures, Television.]
- to shift suddenly from one shot to another: Cut to the barroom interior.
- to stop the action of a scene: used as a command by a director.
- to make a sudden or sharp turn in direction;
change direction suddenly;
swerve: We cut to the left to avoid hitting the child.
- to strike a person, animal, etc., sharply, as with a whip.
- to wound the feelings severely: His criticism cut deep.
- (of the teeth) to grow through the gums.
- [Cards.]to cut the cards.
- to leave hastily: to cut for the hills.
- (of a horse) to interfere.
- cut a caper or figure, to perform a spirited, brief, outlandish dance step, esp. as a result of euphoria.
- cut across, to precede or go beyond considerations of;
transcend: The new tax program cuts across party lines.
- cut a figure:
- See cut a caper.
- to give a certain impression of oneself: He cut a distinguished figure in his tuxedo.
- cut and run:
- [Naut.]to cut the anchor cable and set sail, as in an emergency.
- to leave as hurriedly as possible;
- cut back:
- to shorten by cutting off the end.
- to curtail or discontinue: Steel production has been cut back in recent months.
- to return to an earlier episode or event, as in the plot of a novel.
- [Football.]to reverse direction suddenly by moving in the diagonally opposite course.
- cut both ways, to have, produce, or result in advantages as well as disadvantages: This decision will inevitably cut both ways.
- cut down:
- Also, cut down on. to lessen;
decrease: to cut down on between-meal snacks.
- to strike and cause to fall: The first force to attempt an advance was swiftly cut down.
- to destroy, kill, or disable: The hurricane cut down everything in its path.
- to remodel, remake, or reduce in size, as a garment: She had her old coat cut down to fit her daughter.
- cut or chop down to size, to reduce the stature or importance of: The novelist had a big ego until the critics cut him down to size.
- cut in:
- to move or thrust oneself, a vehicle, etc., abruptly between others: A speeding car cut in and nearly caused an accident.
- to interpose;
interrupt: to cut in with a remark.
- to interrupt a dancing couple in order to dance with one of them.
- to blend (shortening) into flour by means of a knife.
- cut it, [Informal.]
- to achieve or maintain a desired level of performance: The aging football player decided he couldn't cut it any longer and retired.
- to be effective or successful;
satisfy a need.
- cut it out, [Informal.]to stop doing something: That hurts! Cut it out!
- cut no ice. See ice (def. 10).
- cut off:
- to intercept.
- to interrupt.
- to stop suddenly;
- to halt the operation of;
- to shut off or shut out.
- to disinherit.
- to sever;
- cut out:
- to omit;
- to oust and replace a rival;
- to part an animal from a herd.
- to plan;
arrange: He has his work cut out for him.
- to move out of one's lane of traffic.
- Also, cut on out. to leave suddenly.
- to refrain from;
stop: to cut out smoking.
- (of an engine, machine, etc.) to stop running.
- cut up:
- to cut into pieces or sections.
- to lacerate;
- to distress mentally;
- to play pranks;
misbehave: They got scolded for cutting up in church.
- that has been subjected to cutting;
divided into pieces by cutting;
detached by cutting: cut flowers.
- fashioned by cutting;
having the surface shaped or ornamented by grinding, polishing, or the like: cut diamonds.
- reduced by or as if by cutting: cut whiskey; cut prices.
- cut out for, fitted for;
capable of: He wasn't cut out for military service.
- the act of cutting;
a stroke or a blow, as with a knife, whip, etc.
- the result of cutting, as an incision, wound, passage, or channel.
- a piece cut off: a cut of a pie.
- a share, esp. of earnings or profits: His agent's cut is 20 percent.
- a haircut, often with a styling.
- a reduction in price, salary, etc.
- the manner or fashion in which anything is cut: the cut of a dress.
kind: We need a man of his cut in this firm.
- a passage or course straight across or through: a cut through the woods.
- an excision or omission of a part.
- a part or quantity of text deleted or omitted.
- a quantity cut, esp. of lumber.
- a refusal to recognize an acquaintance.
- an act, speech, etc., that wounds the feelings.
- an engraved plate or block of wood used for printing.
- a printed picture or illustration.
- an absence, as from a school class, at which attendance is required.
- [Butchering.]part of an animal usually cut as one piece.
- [Cards.]a cutting of the cards.
- the act of cutting a ball.
- the spin imparted.
- [Fencing.]a blow with the edge of the blade instead of the tip.
- one of several pieces of straw, paper, etc., used in drawing lots.
- [Motion Pictures, Television.]
- the instantaneous or gradual transition from one shot or scene to another in an edited film.
- an edited version of a film. Cf. rough cut, final cut.
- an act or instance of editing a film.
- an individual song, musical piece, or other similar material on a record or tape.
- any product of the fractional distillation of petroleum.
- a cut above, somewhat superior to another (thing, person, etc.) in some respect: Her work is a cut above anyone else's.
Toto (to̅o̅; unstressed tŏŏ, tə),USA pronunciation prep.
- (used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from): They came to the house.
- (used for expressing direction or motion or direction toward something) in the direction of;
toward: from north to south.
- (used for expressing limit of movement or extension): He grew to six feet.
- (used for expressing contact or contiguity) on;
upon: a right uppercut to the jaw; Apply varnish to the surface.
- (used for expressing a point of limit in time) before;
until: to this day; It is ten minutes to six. We work from nine to five.
- (used for expressing aim, purpose, or intention): going to the rescue.
- (used for expressing destination or appointed end): sentenced to jail.
- (used for expressing agency, result, or consequence): to my dismay; The flowers opened to the sun.
- (used for expressing a resulting state or condition): He tore it to pieces.
- (used for expressing the object of inclination or desire): They drank to her health.
- (used for expressing the object of a right or claim): claimants to an estate.
- (used for expressing limit in degree, condition, or amount): wet to the skin; goods amounting to $1000; Tomorrow's high will be 75 to 80°.
- (used for expressing addition or accompaniment) with: He added insult to injury. They danced to the music. Where is the top to this box?
- (used for expressing attachment or adherence): She held to her opinion.
- (used for expressing comparison or opposition): inferior to last year's crop; The score is eight to seven.
- (used for expressing agreement or accordance) according to;
by: a position to one's liking; to the best of my knowledge.
- (used for expressing reference, reaction, or relation): What will he say to this?
- (used for expressing a relative position): parallel to the roof.
- (used for expressing a proportion of number or quantity) in;
making up: 12 to the dozen; 20 miles to the gallon.
- (used for indicating the indirect object of a verb, for connecting a verb with its complement, or for indicating or limiting the application of an adjective, noun, or pronoun): Give it to me. I refer to your work.
- (used as the ordinary sign or accompaniment of the infinitive, as in expressing motion, direction, or purpose, in ordinary uses with a substantive object.)
- raised to the power indicated: Three to the fourth is 81( 34 = 81).
- toward a point, person, place, or thing, implied or understood.
- toward a contact point or closed position: Pull the door to.
- toward a matter, action, or work: We turned to with a will.
- into a state of consciousness;
out of unconsciousness: after he came to.
- to and fro. See fro (def. 2).
Thethe1 (stressed ᵺē; unstressed before a consonant ᵺə;
unstressed before a vowel ᵺē),USA pronunciation definite article.
- (used, esp. before a noun, with a specifying or particularizing effect, as opposed to the indefinite or generalizing force of the indefinite article a or an): the book you gave me; Come into the house.
- (used to mark a proper noun, natural phenomenon, ship, building, time, point of the compass, branch of endeavor, or field of study as something well-known or unique):the sun;
the past; the West.
- (used with or as part of a title): the Duke of Wellington; the Reverend John Smith.
- (used to mark a noun as indicating the best-known, most approved, most important, most satisfying, etc.): the skiing center of the U.S.; If you're going to work hard, now is the time.
- (used to mark a noun as being used generically): The dog is a quadruped.
- (used in place of a possessive pronoun, to note a part of the body or a personal belonging): He won't be able to play football until the leg mends.
- (used before adjectives that are used substantively, to note an individual, a class or number of individuals, or an abstract idea): to visit the sick; from the sublime to the ridiculous.
- (used before a modifying adjective to specify or limit its modifying effect): He took the wrong road and drove miles out of his way.
- (used to indicate one particular decade of a lifetime or of a century): the sixties; the gay nineties.
- (one of many of a class or type, as of a manufactured item, as opposed to an individual one): Did you listen to the radio last night?
- enough: He saved until he had the money for a new car. She didn't have the courage to leave.
- (used distributively, to note any one separately) for, to, or in each;
a or an: at one dollar the pound.
Lengthlength (lengkth, length, lenth),USA pronunciation n.
- the longest extent of anything as measured from end to end: the length of a river.
- the measure of the greatest dimension of a plane or solid figure.
- extent from beginning to end of a series, enumeration, account, book, etc.: a report running 300 pages in length.
- extent in time;
duration: the length of a battle.
- a distance determined by the extent of something specified: Hold the picture at arm's length.
- a piece or portion of a certain or a known extent: a length of rope.
- the quality or state of being long rather than short: a journey remarkable for its length.
- the extent to which a person might or would go in pursuing something: He went to great lengths to get what he wanted.
- a large extent or expanse of something.
- the measure from end to end of a horse, boat, etc., as a unit of distance in racing: The horse won by two lengths.
- the extent of a garment related to a point it reaches, as on the wearer's body, the floor, or on a garment used as a standard of measurement (usually used in combination): an ankle-length gown; a floor-length negligee; a three-quarter-length coat.
- [Pros., Phonet.]
- (of a vowel or syllable) quantity, whether long or short.
- the quality of vowels.
- [Bridge.]the possession of four or more than four cards in a given suit.
- [Theat. Archaic.]42 lines of an acting part.
- at length:
- in or to the full extent;
- after a time;
finally: At length there was a step forward in the negotiations.
- go to any length or lengths, to disregard any impediment that could prevent one from accomplishing one's purpose: He would go to any lengths to get his own way.
- keep at arm's length. See arm 1 (def. 16).
Withwith (with, wiᵺ),USA pronunciation prep.
- accompanied by;
accompanying: I will go with you. He fought with his brother against the enemy.
- in some particular relation to (esp. implying interaction, company, association, conjunction, or connection): I dealt with the problem. She agreed with me.
- characterized by or having: a person with initiative.
- (of means or instrument) by the use of;
using: to line a coat with silk; to cut with a knife.
- (of manner) using or showing: to work with diligence.
- in correspondence, comparison, or proportion to: Their power increased with their number. How does their plan compare with ours?
- in regard to: to be pleased with a gift.
- (of cause) owing to: to die with pneumonia; to pale with fear.
- in the region, sphere, or view of: It is day with us while it is night with the Chinese.
- (of separation) from: to part with a thing.
- against, as in opposition or competition: He fought with his brother over the inheritance.
- in the keeping or service of: to leave something with a friend.
- in affecting the judgment, estimation, or consideration of: Her argument carried a lot of weight with the trustees.
- at the same time as or immediately after;
upon: And with that last remark, she turned and left.
- of the same opinion or conviction as: Are you with me or against me?
- in proximity to or in the same household as: He lives with his parents.
- (used as a function word to specify an additional circumstance or condition): We climbed the hill, with Jeff following behind.
- in with. See in (def. 22).
- with child, pregnant.
- with it:
- knowledgeable about, sympathetic to, or partaking of the most up-to-date trends, fashions, art, etc.
- representing or characterized by the most up-to-date trends, fashions, art, etc.
- with that. See that (def. 10).